Prayer Support Network
Recognizing that kingdom activity is inherently spiritual warfare, the Chalmers Center believes that prayer is central to the success of its mission. The Prayer Support Network consists of people committed to regularly presenting the Chalmers Center’s praises and requests before the throne of God. Members of the network receive monthly prayer cards, giving them an opportunity to pray specifically for the Chalmers Center’s work.
Learn more about joining the Prayer Support Network.
We confess that in the midst of a sinful world, we often fail to foster gratitude as a discipline. We are tempted to settle for the cheap, naïve thankfulness of denial, trying to ignore the pain and brokenness in our lives and around us. Alternatively, we forgo gratitude entirely, letting the poison of pessimism or entitlement creep into our hearts. At his lowest point, surrounded by enemies and in the depths of despair, King David felt all too keenly the hurt and desperation of injustice. He cried out to you, “Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. . . . My eyes grow dim with waiting for my God” (Psalm 69:1-3, ESV). And yet David ended his psalm in gratitude and worship: “I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving. . . .When the humble see it they will be glad; you who seek God, let your hearts revive. For the Lord hears the needy and does not despise his own people who are prisoners” (Psalm 69:30-33, ESV). So give us faith to feel the pain of a broken world and to celebrate Your unfailing goodness. Let us rejoice with Paul, singing, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 1:3, ESV).
Specific Prayer Requests
- Please pray for the staff and board of the Chalmers Center as they continue the process of 2014 strategic planning. Pray that God would grant them wisdom, discernment, and excitement as Chalmers continues its work in equipping the church to empower the poor.
- Join us in thanking God for the generous financial ministry partners who have made our work in 2013 possible. Pray that God would encourage them as they steward His money in support of His work in the world.
- Join us in praising God for providing Chalmers with a new staff member, Laura Hunter. Laura is joining Chalmers’ international team, where she will contribute to savings group curriculum design and training.
- Please pray for Chalmers’ West Africa Program Director, Gregg Burgess, as he equips lead trainers with Wycliffe-Benin. The church and ministry leaders will then train pastors to establish gospel-driven, church-centered savings group ministries in their own communities. Pray for safety as the participants and Burgess travel to and from the training, and pray that it would be a mutually refreshing time of fellowship and encouragement.
- Pray for the upcoming Chattanooga Faith & Finances training in January. Pray that God would assemble the right group of church and community leaders, and that it would be a platform for effective collaboration in our hometown. Further, pray that God would use it to mobilize Chattanoogans to walk alongside our low-income brothers and sisters in new ways.